Jan 13, 2013

Some How I Learned to Paint Furniture




What things have you done, but previously thought you could never do?
 

Well, we're now into Week 3 of the Folk Magazine's Blog Journal Agenda, and as I sit here and ponder this question, the one thing that sticks out the most in my mind is for me being able to create beautiful furniture. The kind that I'm used to seeing on OTHERS blogs. The kind that I've drooled over having, forget about trying to create myself. 

I thought I would be crazy to even attempt just the painting part alone. But to do distressing that looked even remotely authentic? Pssshhh... that would be a stretch! And artistic designs? Whaaaaaat? Surely if I made it that far, then I'd be screwing it up at this point in the game. Then it would be called treasure to trash instead of trash to treasure. Cuz that's just how I roll sometimes.

However, on a whim I decided that I was going to jump in with both feet and try doing all 3 challenging techniques on my first try. Boy, was I setting myself up for failure, or what? The correct answer here should be yes. I will have to say that I have what they call Beginner's Luck. And with that being said, my first project was an easy breezy success!

First Painted Project
This was my first piece of furniture refinishing.  Yes! I did it!  I couldn't have been more pleased with myself. 

I made and used my own chalkpaint for the first time and loved it! I stained it and distress sanded it and I thought it turned out beautiful.  
First Image Transfer
I also discovered the technique of transferring images, and even though I was terrified of attempting this, I did it and it worked out perfect! I felt lucky indeed. It didn't raise any eyebrows in the blogging world, but I felt really good about it. It sold at my craft show in the first hour and so many others were disappointed that it was sold.

However, there is a downside to this whole Beginner's Luck thing. Eventually you start to fail at the very thing you did so perfectly the first time, and it gets worse with each attemptOne would think that if you got it from the beginning, then you have it forever. 

Not so. Not in my case. I don't why that is - perhaps it's all the variables, like the time of day, number of cups of coffee before 10 a.m. Lack of sleep, too much sleep. Room too hot, too cold, just right. A phone call from your hubby or a friend, or no phone call at all, from anyone. You get my drift. I'll use anything for an excuse as to why a project didn't turn out, it just wasn't MY fault. E'hem.

I felt confident enough to try my hand at another painting project. Would I? Could I be lucky enough a 2nd time? I don't have a good track record for that sort of thing. It might be the ADD in me. I've never been tested, but I think I'm a good candidate. I wanted to prove that the odds that were usually against me had finally met their match.

My Best Work?
Meet Table #2. This might be THE best table I ever made, or at least a very, very close 2nd. The post about this table has had the most hits and comments for me on my blog and Pinned more than any of my other stuff - combined.

You have to admit the table design itself has great bones and unless you just flat out smashed it with a sledge hammer, it would be pretty no matter what. I will say that I'm kicking myself for not keeping it. I did need an end table too. I added the antique metal pieces that I had for years and boy did they really kick the looks of this up a notch!

Not to let my skills get lazy, I decided I wanted to get a little more artistic and put my Cricut to work for me by trying something like this.
diy,  painted furniture, distressed, decor, home decor,
First Stenciled Table
 I know, it's a crappy picture and photography is one thing I still CAN'T do well.

First Stenciled Table
This is the top details. 
 
This table was a labor of love, I guess. Two-toned painting and it seemed like I was painting it over and over and over. I was glad when it was done.

Then I tried this with my Cricut too. Ummmm, never again will I do that big of a design again. At least not for a while. Thank goodness it worked out the first time! There's that beginner's luck thing again, it wasn't skill, that's for sure.
farmhouse, painted furniture, rustic, home decor, shabby decor, kitchen
Pretty Little Thing

And last, but not really the least at all, The Clock Face Table
farmhouse, home decor, rustic, country, shabby, painted furniture,
The Clock Face Table
This could be the one that puts Table #2 in 2nd place. However, it hasn't drawn the traffic, comments or pins the other did, but I think she's a stunning piece. She was a bit of a challenge to do too. I sanded the numbers off twice I think, before finally getting them just right

I also painted and recovered a pair of vintage chairs. I've never recovered any furniture before. I don't care if it was just the seats, that was big deal for me too.
drop cloth, painted furniture, chairs, shabby, grain sack, grainsack, diy
Re-Invintaged Chairs
  
And I did this chair in what I call a reverse stencil design with the words & little stars so the wood could show through. It was inspired by a chair I seen on Pinterest - in a very round about way.
painted furniture, ladder back chair, chalk paint
Sort of Pinterest Inspired
And I cannot, will not forget this guy!
repurpose, Christmas decor, Winter decor, Porch decor, farmhouse, diy, painted furniture
Snowman Chair
I have painted and sold 3 chairs like this! Not that it's difficult to draw a circle and a triangle, but I was proud that I could do both by hand and they actually turned out looking like a snowman with a carrot nose.

The fact that I painted this much furniture in one year is a HUGE accomplishment for me! And that doesn't even include all the other things I made that wasn't furniture related.

I never thought I could have the dedication to work this hard at something, even with all the set backs that came along with it. 

I guess that's when you know you found what you love. 

I never thought I would do that either.

With all that, it has made me believe that I have what it takes to open MY own business doing this, what I love, and it could flourish in my community.  I never in my wildest dreams thought I would ever own my own business. Yet, here I am, discussing with my husband, family and friends. Actually thinking & talking it through.

It hasn't happened yet, and it may not actually come to reality, but right now I believe that I have that ability to do it.


 Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...