Apr 10, 2012

It WAS going to be cute!


 
Ya know, this post was going to go in a different direction today than it ended up turning out. It was supposed to be a good idea, and I was going to be proud, and it was going to be sold - and fast. Instead, I ended up mad at myself for not leaving well enough alone in order to get that perfect money shot

But now, I'm going to have to come up with some other idea that will be less impressive in my own eyes. I could try to blame my husband by saying that he should have put the brackets on the back of it to keep everything in and secure, but it's not like I didn't know - in fact, it was just SECONDS before I broke it that I was thinking "watch me break this d@mn thing before I'm done here".... and as I predicted, I did. Oh, it wasn't a whole big shattered mess, no, it was just a little break, all nice and clean, no shards to mess with and nothing to clean up but the tears running down my face and the language coming from my lips. It's a good thing I am home - alone. I didn't need any little ears hearing the sailor talk that coming from these mommy lips.

Here was my original project that I have to re-create. Isn't it pretty?
                               See that? That marker holder up there?

That was the demise of my project. It's a long stupid story, but that's usually how all my stories go with the whole "cause and effect" thing. It started because I didn't like this image with that upside down drawer pull not being screwed on yet and being crooked and all. 

 
 At the time, there was all this writing on the it to show that this is supposed to be a dry erase board. But, I wanted the board clean, and in cleaning it, I pushed the beadboard and glass out no, this isn't where it broke. Soooo, wanting NOT to break it, I moved it to the carpeting and laid it down so I could get them back in more carefully nope, still hadn't broke. Wouldn't ya know? this is where it breaks As I'm sliding the glass into the opening, the glass got a little crooked and wedged in there, and slicker than snot, it snapped the top corner right off.

Niiiiiice.

Yes, there is quite the tone of sarcasm when I say that.

I bought the picture frame at a flea market last fall for a great price and I loved that it has had this matte finish to the glass so there was no glare. I eventually came up with the idea to make this into a dry erase board and I could put the cute bead board behind it for the look without having to worry about the texture of the board affecting how you wrote. Then yesterday, I worked on making the quote for the top on my Cricut. So much for that now. I will have to settle for standard paned glass (which I have on hand) and then cut yet another quote. Thank goodness I did it in Design Studio and saved the file.

I suppose my one consolation is that I can cut this glass down to a smaller size and perhaps get more smaller dry erase boards out of it. At least I am trying to look on the bright side. 

      **************************************
4/18/12 Update ~  I've fixed my broken glass dilemma now and you can see the follow-up post for that by clicking HERE.

AND.....I was featured at Hating Martha!! Woo hoo!!
A big stanky thank you!!








Have a creative day!


Photobucket
Linking up to these parties:
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special   


14 comments:

Flamenco92627/ Julieta said...

Aww, what a bummer!! That is such a great idea though. What if you just glued that little corner back in, and put a black velvet ribbon across it and one across the other corner so it looks matchy-matchy?

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

This is a great post! Though, I'm sorry you had such back luck. Honey, I would have had the same reaction. I have every confidence in you that you will be able to salvage this project....which is very cute. I agree that it would be a quick seller.

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

ms.composure said...

stumbled onto your blog via the blog hop and just wanted to show some blog luv! OMG this is an AMAZING idea!! new follower via email :-)

http://infinitelifefitness.com
http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

Stacey Stuwe said...

I feel your pain....check these out:

http://flickerwhips.blogspot.com/2012/04/back-to-drawing-boardepic-fails.html

Lisha said...

Oh, it sucks when things don't go as planned (or when something breaks!) I'm sure you'll find a good solution... For what it's worth, it looked really cool :)

Also, I like the backward "e"s in your header image :)

~Lisha

Tracy said...

Ohhh that sucks dodo. I am keeping my trucker talk to myself, teehee.
But seriously I am really feeling for you.
But I was thinking, well she can reuse that glass if she cuts it down.
I really love this idea. Another great one my friend.

Cassie Bustamante said...

i broke the panel of a china cabinet once.... i feel your pain!

thistlewoodfarm said...

Are you sure we are not long lost sisters? This is the story of my life. I always want to make it just a little better. *sigh*

I know you will make it perfetct :)

blessings,
karianne

Maureen said...

I have beat myself up many times for messing up but have discovered that there is usually a solution....a Plan B. You could always spray the back of a regular pane of glass with frosting....kind of the same effect.

aimee said...

this is such a wonderful idea, i would love for you to come and share it at my party at http://www.twiggstudios.com/2012/04/sunday-show-of-linky-party-features.html

thankyou xxxx

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

I've definitely had bloopers with projects. Oh well...just another opportunity to apply creativity. Thanks so much for sharing at The Mother Lode linky party over at I Gotta Create!
<3 Christina
http://igottacreate.blogspot.com

Bookbureader said...

put some "clear" contact paper on the back of the glass. The contact paper is suppose to be clear but it is really kind of frosted. Might be too frosted but it's worth a shot just try it on a small scrap piece of glass first.

Janel from NellieBellie said...

This looks great though...all the nasty problems are going to come out A-ok!

Janel from NellieBellie said...

Let you know I featured this on Hating Martha tonight. Glad it turned out great in the end though :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...